Saturday, October 9, 2010

Released minor’s family vows to fight for justice
13-year-old still traumatised after 27 days in custody



Srinagar October 9: In a dimly-lit room at Malik Angan in Fateh Kadal, Faisal Nabi Bhatt (13), an eighth standard student from Tiny Tot Hindu School narrated the story of his 27 days in custody. Faisal alleged he was picked by the police in Fateh Kadal and then whisked away to the police station.

While talking to Kashmir Dispatch from his home, Faisal said, “On September 3, on Jumat ul vida (last Friday of holly month Ramadan), Geelani was delivering a speech at Pathar Masjid on the present turmoil in the Valley. Soon after the prayers, the devotes took to the street and peacefully marched to Zaina Kadal.”

Faisal recalled that Duty Officer Farooq Ahmad was also on the spot on duty. “While I was walking, Ahmad passed a comment and threatened me,” he alleged.

The next day, Faisal was on the way to his uncle’s home when the police and the CRPF apprehended him. “They hit me for 30 minutes until my ear start bleeding. Then the police took me to Zaina Kadal Police Station where I spent 12 days.”

During that period Faisal’s condition deteriorated and he was taken to Gousia Hospital for check-up, he said.

These days, Faisal peeps from his windows repeatedly as he suffers from psychological pressure from his 27 days in custody. “For two consecutive days, they kept me underground. My parents were not allowed to meet me on Eid Ul Fitr. The police used to tell me that my father doesn’t care for me. Upon release, I came to know that my father was not allowed to meet me in the police station.”


His father Ghulam Nabi Bhat narrated the story how the family has suffered from past two decades of turmoil. “My brother, Shakeel Ahmad Bhat has been imprisoned several times. The police have always torture us to shut our voices. They charged us with false allegations,” he alleged.

On September 6, the police sent a notice to Faisal’s school asking for his DOB certificate. The letter also mentioned that the minor had been booked under Sections 148, 149 and 336 of the RPC, his father said, displaying the document. But when Faisal was sent for remand to the Chief Judicial Magistrate a few more Sections were added besides the onesmentioned earlier, said his father. In court, Sections 152 and 427 of the RPC were also slapped on the boy, official documents revealed.

Faisal recalled how he was not allowed to answer nature’s call. “The police officers used to abuse me and kick me on my back. The CRPF used to come to police station and sling pebbles on me,” said Faisal.

The tortured has damaged the boy’s left eye and ear, “My exams are next week. I am not able to focus,” he added. Before the interrogation, Faisal used to study well but now he is not able to remember a single line.

His family said that he gets nightmares and he wakes up screaming, “Mai mat lai-yu (don’t beat me).”

“We will not bow if I would have to sell my home, I will fight for justice. I will soon file a case in High Court against those who have beaten my son,” Ghulam Nabi said.

No comments:

Post a Comment