Thursday, May 19, 2011

'Power need not corrupt'


Oveesa Iqbal is the first Muslim woman from Jammu and Kashmir to qualify the coveted Union Public Service Commission exam 2010. In an interview with Kashmir Dispatch correspondent Junaid Rather, she says power 'need ot corrupt'.



Ovessa Iqbal, 25, in a file picture.

You are the first Muslim woman from Jammu and Kashmir to qualify the coveted UPSC exams. Tell us about it?

I got to know about the news of being first Muslim woman from Jammu and Kashmir from newspapers only. I am glad that God has blessed me with this honour. I don’t have words to express my feelings.

Your inspiration?

I draw inspiration from many sources at different point of time.

Tells us about your days while you were preparing for the exams?

Those were days of mixed emotions, failure, success, failure, finally success! But then I feel those were the best days as I was enjoying what I was doing irrespective of results.

You pursued engineering, how did UPSC happen?

After my graduation I had few options like going for a job or do MBA or pursue Masters or go for civil services. Finally I decided to go for civil services as this was the best career option to start at a young age. It offers challenges like diverse service opportunities, social esteem and involvement with the masses.

Does coming from an underdeveloped region make a difference?

I don’t feel so. My parents never made me feel that I belong to a remote area. Being born and brought up in a remote area doen't make much of a difference as everyone has to face same conditions.

What do you aspire for the people who saw you grow?

At this point I don know which part of the country I will be serving. Where ever I would be, I will try to reach out to the people and ensure my loyalty towards them and towards the organization.

Many Kashmiris believe that they are discriminated elsewhere in India. What do you think?

To some extent in some way or other this is true. This I realized after living in Kashmir. But things are changing now as the education level is changing and people are becoming more aware.

More Kashmiris are moving into civil services, do you think this could be helpful in resolving Kashmir Issue?

Yes I feel so because by this the general perception about the things which are going on will change in a positive way and the potential of the brilliant youth of Kashmir can be channelized.

Power corrupts, what’s your take?

If power corrupts then does powerlessness make you pure? So for me power need not corrupt.

Your message for those who are planning to prepare for UPSC exams.

First you need to be firm with your decision then just believe in yourself no matter what others say and be yourself. Don’t follow coaching centers blindly.

No comments:

Post a Comment