Monday, February 24, 2014

Stigma on democracy: Former DM

Srinagar Feb 23: After 23 years, a former district magistrate, who was the first person from the government to visit Kunan-Poshpora after the mass rape committed on  February 23 1991, Sunday termed the incident as a ‘stigma on Indian democracy’.
Yasin while speaking at a seminar ‘Kashmiris Women’s Resistance Day’, organized by J&K Coalition of Civil Society (J&KCCS), said, “The tragic Kunan-Poshpora is the most shocking incident that has happened in the history of Kashmir. The army men behaved like wild beasts.” Narrating the experience of his visit to the village after a mass rape took place. “The moment I reached the village along with some police official I saw whole village was mourning. At first I was not able to make-out what has happened. The men folk of the village were not in a position to walk because of the interrogation and women were so brutally raped that there were stains of blood on their clothes.”
Yasin said that after he filled a report on Kunan- Poshpora tragedy he was threatened by various agencies. “I had a friend in Army those days he informed me that you should avoid going to that village as Army has hit order against you,” Yasin said.
“The pressure on me was so high that I was transferred within one month after I filled a report to Auqaf in Jammu and later to Agrarian commissioner,” he said.
“I was never interested in the materialistic world. I believe government officials are for people. If we can’t address the grievances of common man what are we for then,” Yasin said.
He added that he was approached by several agencies through different people who tried to motivate him to change his statement. “But I remained firm on my stand.”
Terming  Verghese Committee Report which was headed by B. G. Verghese, Jamna Das Akhtar, and K Vikram Rao, as ‘false and fabricated’ Yasin said,  “The truth has been manipulated. The Verghese report was false as they were the representatives of Government of India and the report they filed was on the directions of central government.”


No comments:

Post a Comment