Monday, February 10, 2014

Will support LeT, JeM, Thackeray, Modi, anyone who seeks K-resolution: Er Rasheed

Chairman of Awami Ithad Party and MLA Langate Er Rasheed talks in detail about pros and cons of Kashmir issue and forthcoming Assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir in an exclusive interview to Precious Kashmir Correspondent Junaid Rather.     

Precious Kashmir:  Tell us something about your background?

Er Rasheed: I was working as an engineer in J&K Projects Construction Corporation (JKPCC). I constructed some important projects like Sopore Bridge, Degree College Handwara and other big projects. I was also a social worker and used to write for Chattan newspaper before becoming an MLA. I was also writing regularly for English newspapers but mostly I was contributing to Urdu publications.



Precious Kashmir:  What made you to join politics?
Er Rasheed: It was the turmoil of past 30 years especially from 1990 to 2008 in my area that forced me to join politics. Militancy had disturbed things everywhere and especially in my constituency where people were subjected to forced labor for 13 years from 1990 to 2013. There were many atrocities; there was no accountability and transparency. Just as a conscience bearing citizen I choose to raise my voice against it and in return faced the music from the Army. I was thrown out of my home three to four times by my parents as they feared that Army reprisal. I used to take Army head on whenever there was a crisis. So ultimately it was in 2003 when I launched a movement against the forced labor which we then called as “Convoy Duty”. Some eight to 12 persons from every village were forced to go with army and work for 24 hours. We were not paid anything and we had to face all sorts of humiliation and atrocities. Ultimately on  Feb 3, 2003, a boy, Shabir Ahmad Peer, whose brother was a militant was tortured to death by the Army and dubbed as militant. But people couldn’t muster courage to bury his body. I led a successful moment that day which turned great day, glorious day for the people of my constituency. That day the forced labor ended, we had an agreement with the government -civil and army administration. But trouble for me started and just two years later I was arrested by the police and I was taken to Cargo (SOG Headquarters) where I was subjected to third degree torture. I was asked to pay bribe and had to arrange around Rs 1.5 lakhs in total after selling my land. I had to pay bribe to the police officers to get myself out. The problem didn’t end there and in 2005 and 2006 I was lodged in Central Jail, CIK Humamha and in Raj Bagh Police station.
After my release, Department (JKPCC) had suspended me as I was the honest engineer and they were already in search of some excuse. So I had to face financial problems. I had to face pressure from my family also. In 2007 and 2008 police again harassed me and so did Army. I was asked to give three mobile phones to police at Rajbagh as bribe. They told me that I had to be booked under PSA as I had already been in jail. So I had to give three mobile phones and around Rs 30,000 to 40,000 in cash to save my skin. By that time elections came and I decided to contest election and just a few days before the polls I submitted my resignation after talking to a few people. On November 13 I filed my nomination and elections were held on November 27. I had just 14 or 15 days to campaign and I thank God my people supported me that is how I joined politics.

Precious Kashmir:  From MLA to Awami Itehad Party chief. How it happened?

Er Rasheed: I had never visited Assembly in my life till I became an MLA. Neither had I voted till 27 or 28 November. I exercised my franchise for the first time in 2008. I had no idea of things. But I had an idea of writing and the writing came from inside as I had seen people suffering in villages which encouraged me to write something. So when I became MLA I just had idea through reading and writing. I met Mufti Sayeed Sahib just three four days after I became MLA and later I met Omar Abdullah.
When Rahul Ghandhi visited Wanpoo ahead of Parliament elections in 2009 Omar Abdullah spoke to me over phone. He asked me to support Rahul Gandhi as he had assured Omar that Congress would resolve the Kashmir issue if it retains power. I thought that if he means business then we must support him because ultimately it is the people in the corridors of the power who can resolve the things even at least within the constitution of India. They can give something to the Kashmiris within the internal spectrum.
I supported him and for one and a half year it seemed to me that he is on the right path. As the time passed I realized that they too are not sincere and what they say they don’t mean it and I felt disappointed. In 2010 I saw my kids dying at roads and nobody was even registering an FIR I felt helpless. Ultimately things changed when Afzal Guru’s resolution came into Assembly as I got clues from right left and centre that India will hang Afzal, they just wanted to set an example. I raised my voice to seek clemency for  Afzal. Tamil Nadu assembly passing a resolution to seek clemency for Tamlians involved in Rajiv Gandhi murder case encouraged me. I tried my best. I met Omar Abdullah, I met Mufti Saheb and told them that let Assembly pass a resolution so that Afzal is not hanged but both the parties let me down. I was dragged in the assembly and my voice was muzzled.
I know many people in jail who even today are languishing there. I tried my best. Mufti Sahib asked me that he would support my resolution if I join PDP. I promised him that I will announce my decision on the floor of house once you support the resolution but unfortunately next day he called me saying that his party cannot support my resolution. So I had no option left. I preferred to fight alone and at the end of the day if you rightly remember in 2010 I wrote two letters to Omar Abdullah and Mehbooba Mufti asking them to join hands for the larger interest of Kashmiris- Let our cause not get divided. Let you rectify your mistakes. Let us move collectively so that we can contribute, but unfortunately they let me down. The things reached its peak when Afzal was hanged. I was detained in Handwara police station for nine days. After I was released I again tried that NC and PDP and some other forces should come forward to at least seek the return of Afzal’s mortal remains but they just played politics over the issue.
Either I had to join them and be part of their dirty politics or I had to form a group. It is not I (Engineer Rashid) but some other educated people who really wanted to do something for Kashmiris. I am just a part of it. May be tomorrow someone else would be heading Awami Itihaad Party. It is not my party. It is people’s party it is a party of Kashmiris. Everybody is welcome to join the politics and I will love if somebody else having a good talent than me will head the organization.

Precious Kashmir:  What is AIP’s manifesto?
Er Rasheed: Manifesto of our party is that we will work hard for the resolution of the Kashmir issue without exploiting people in the name of autonomy and self rule. We will tell India and Pakistan that don’t take us for-granted. We will not try to dilute by saying autonomy. Let us first realize that till India doesn’t accept Kashmir as an issue we will reach nowhere. If you demand 100 percent they will give you 20 percent. We have to remain firm on our stand to ensure that we are able to strike a deal with New Delhi.  We firmly believed that we should try to protect the human rights of Kashmiri people especially I can give you the example, in my constituency not even a single PSA has been slapped during the past five years. Compare my constituency it with other constituencies you will see how many youth have been booked under PSA. We  believe that till Kashmir issue is resolved Kashmiris have right to live a dignified life.
My third point is governance. No one knows how long Kashmir issue would keep on lingering. If Kashmiris get united it may get resolved earlier but if we  remain divided India will take us for granted so will Pakistan though Pakistan is well wisher of Kashmiris but they have their compulsions. But till then Kashmiris have a right to get better governance, good roads and an accountable system.
Our another point is that VIP culture should end. Whatever I have done in Langate I promise I  will repeat it everywhere.



Precious Kashmir: There were reports that AIP was planning to merge with Aam Aadmi Party,  what happened to that?

Er Rasheed: No, No it was absolutely false I have cleared that already. 
Precious Kashmir: Newspapers reports said that Arvind Kejriwal is your friend and you will talk to him?

Er Rasheed: I have met Arvind and his team including Manish Jasodiya and others. I met Manish even after they formed a government in New Delhi. I had an appointment with Arvind but I couldn’t meet him as I got trapped in some traffic jam. I have met Arvind before he took over as the chief minister but the problem in Jammu and Kashmir is unique here we have problems related to political dispute, political issues. They have their problems related to governance so there is lot of difference between them and us. I wanted that they should have Kashmir policy and give some way out us so that we can resolve the Kashmir issue. But unfortunately I feel that they have not taken any decision in this regard. I respect Arvind but I don’t think we need to copy anybody. I love the AAP style. They sat on a  dharna to get two police officials shifted and they failed the Aam Admi’s credibility in the name of giving honor to Aam Admi has got a question mark . When you can’t transfer an SHO it is a trouble. You check my record 43 dharnas in the past five year, I got two SHOs one DYsP transferred, One Army major booked in Baramulla. He was put in jail  for two and a half hours I got three Army camps removed. I got a road opened after 19 years. I got an assistant commissioner shifted from that place within two or three hours it was all due to we staging dharnas.

Precious Kashmir: Power corrupts? What is your take?

Er Rasheed: Power corrupts but anybody having a conscience power is worship and I think on those lines. I pray to Allah that he never turns me corrupt. Take my life but don’t take my consciousness. It is my prayer to Almighty.

Precious Kashmir: As elections are close what is your party’s strength?



Er Rasheed: My strength is my commitment, my conviction, ideology, sincerity and my people who I feel have been let down by everybody.  They should also think that how to get out of it. They can’t keep on blaming National Conference and PDP for their woes and at the end vote for them. People have to change if they want to live a dignified life. We want to give an alternative platform to people. Its up to people to accept or reject us.

Precious Kashmir: Politicians often say whatever you do you do it for media coverage. Is it true?

Er Rasheed: What is wrong in it? I want my views to reach out to people. Ultimately media is the medium to reach out to people. So if I do a good thing and media gives it coverage what is wrong in it? I thank media for giving coverage to me for good reasons. If I am doing bad things media would expose me and if I am doing well they are highlighting it.
Precious Kashmir: What is your take on AFSPA?

Er Rasheed: I sometimes think it is useless to raise hue and cry over revocation of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) as New Delhi won’t revoke it till Kashmir issue is resolved. But to control human rights violations AFSPA has to go.
Precious Kashmir: Which constituency would you be contesting from in coming elections? There were rumors that you will contest from Sopore?
Er Rasheed: My party will decide from where I will contest but I would love to contest from Sopore. Now I am not a free man I am bound by the party rules. Our rules are defined, one man one post. To contest the forthcoming assembly elections or not would be my party’s decision. I would love to campaign for my party.
Personally I would love to be a MLA than a party leader. I love the people of Kashmir as everyone here has suffered a lot and Kashmiris deserve good MLAs who can  represent their sentiments and aspirations all along their aspirations.
Precious Kashmir: How AIP sees Army’s recent decision on Pathribal case?

 Er Rasheed: It is unfortunate and India is getting exposed itself. The security agencies and others are making us feel that Kashmiris can’t be Indians.

Precious Kashmir: Some people say you are a creation of intelligence agencies?
Er Rasheed: Wonderful (laughs) let them say I am creation of God.
Precious Kashmir: Does it bother Engineer Rashid?
 Er Rasheed: Why should it bother me? They have no job what else can they say. People of Kashmir know that it I was the only man who fought for Afzal Guru and who takes to streets every now and then to protest against the human rights a violation. I was the one who reached Kishtwar I don’t need anybody’s certificate. For those who say I am the creation of intelligence let them disclose how come they have build assets and enjoy all the privileges. My life is an open book. I have a house in Langate which belongs to my father, I have five and a half Malras of land in Srinagar and five Malras in Jammu which I have purchased some 14 years ago. I don’t have anything except that.
 Precious Kashmir: Why should people vote for AIP?
Er Rasheed: To  end VIP culture, for making MLA’s accountable, to bring transparency in the system and to ensure that there is zero tolerance against the human rights violation.
Precious Kashmir: As a member of Legislative Assembly what you did to seek return of mortal remains of Afzal Guru?
 Er Rasheed: I was the man who fought for it all along. When he was hanged I said that I may resign but later I realized that government also wants me to resign. I tried best my best to get his body back.  I approached his family but they said they will themselves see what to do. What more I could have done.
 Precious Kashmir: Do you see your party as a part of the new government? How many seats you are expecting?
Er Rasheed: Let me not make any predictions. Let my people decide that if they want a change they will vote.

Precious Kashmir: Is there any chance of AIP merging with Sajad Lone’s People Conference?


 Er Rasheed: Who is Sajad Lone? I don’t know his address. But there is one thing I am open to anyone who ever talks about Kashmir.
Precious Kashmir: You had said in 2009 that late Abdul Gani Lone is you mentor?
Er Rasheed:  Yes I said it he is my political mentor. I love him. I have lot of respect and regards for him as on date. I believe there was only good voice from district Kupwara it was late Lone Sahib. I was influenced by his ideologies and when he left this world that ideology was over

Precious Kashmir: If you have to lend support to any party who would you give and why?
Er Rasheed:  I will choose Lashker e Taiba , Jaish e Muhammad, Udhay Thackrey who else Raj Thackrey and anybody, whosoever talks of Kashmir resolution. Kashmir issue has killed our generations. Even if Narrendra Modi supports Kashmir issue I will support him.
Precious Kashmir: If given a chance to become a chief minister what would be the first thing you would do?
Er Rasheed:  Within seven days I will revoke PSA. I will definitely ensure that no minister would be allowed to move with more than five vehicles and I will definitely want corrupt people booked and I would set an example.

No comments:

Post a Comment